At the Professorship of European Studies and International Relations Prof. Dr. Gisela Müller-Brandeck-Bocquet and her staff focus on the vast array of foreign, security, and developmental policies, , as well as the numerous questions related to Europe. In particular they do research in the following fields:
- European Studies: Specifically European Foreign, Security, and Defence Policy, reform processes as well as media representation of the European Union.
- International Organizations: UN, EU, and NATO as well as interorganizational cooperation.
- International Crisis and Conflict Management
- German, French, and British Foreign and European Policies
- The rise of new powers: Especially Indian Foreign Policy
- African International Relations: Particularly Chinese, Indian, European, and US Policies towards Africa
- Theories of International Relations: Notably Constructivism and Role Theory